So yesterday (Wednesday) I had my other 3 mile time trial and I was yet again a little nervous for it. This time I studied the trail/course a little more on google maps pedometer. I saw where the 1 mile mark and 2 mile mark where exactly so I could take my splits this time around. As usual I had a 1.6 mile warm up where I stretched a little longer then usual to get nice and loose as well as try and get rid of the nervous I had.
Finally after all the stretching I started my 2nd 3 mile time trial hoping for a better time. As before I felt the early pace was very unfamiliar and began monitoring my pace at least until I got to the mile mark. I passed the mini hill and sandy horse trail not knowing what pace I was going at. For some reason I felt more sluggish than last time and still very nervous for how long I could keep this pace. Finally I got to the 1 mile mark and clocked it in at around 6:54 perhaps taking a couple seconds away for inaccuracy. Once I saw this I felt both relieved and pressure to push harder the last two miles if I plan to beat my previous time which was a 6:48/mile pace. I was relieved because although I felt very sluggish I was only 6 seconds off of my previous per mile pace. However, this only put pressure on the next two miles to go even faster than 6:48 per mile pace.
At this point I focused on keeping the same pace until I got to the straight along the road which would lead to the 2 mile mark. Once I was on the trail along the road I picked up my pace and concentrated on toeing off and keeping my form sharp. When the 2 mile mark came along I clocked it at 6:45 which was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't pick the pace up by too much but also managed to get right below the 6:48 per mile pace I needed to beat to run faster this time around. I had about 200 meters of the straight along the road before I made a right turn going along the end of the golf course. I used this short distance to recharge mentally while maintaining the same pace. I knew I had to have a strong final mile effort to beat my previous time of 20:25 so once I made the right turn into the back end of the golf course I was ready to start pushing just a little bit more. I knew once I finished this back end of the golf course I would only have a half mile left until the finish point. So although I was still pushing I wanted to control my breathing and make sure I wouldn't be out of breath when I decided to go into my final two pushes. I was doing some math in my head and realized if I made it to the half mile left mark at 16:58 and held on to a 6:48 pace I would be able to tie my previous time trial. However, I came around at 17:02 and I knew I had to make this last half mile really count. I refocused on toeing off and keeping my form in check. I made it to the final bend and started a hard finish but couldn't hold it to the very end but managed to keep a good fast pace and ended at 20:19 for 3.01 miles. Although it is a faster time than my previous effort I am still no where near how fast I know I could go or how hard I feel my training has prepared me. Yes, my training has only been to build strength for the half-marathon and marathon I plan on running, but I would still like to know my training can produce some speed for my legs if I ever choose to call on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment